Mar 17, 2009

THERE'S Your Cinderella Team

After finishing a 27-page-paper last night which was part of a major-mondo project, I think... I might ACTUALLY have free time tonight.

What's THAT like?

Just got off the phone with a friend who makes a job out of following college sports. No, but really, that's his job. (Shout out to Drew.) I tried to impress him with my knowledge of March Madness.

"UW got the number 4 seed, heeeey."
"Yeah, I had them do pretty well in my bracket."
"Only PRETTY well?"
"I had them lose to U-Conn."
"Yukon? The Yukon plays in the NCAA tournament?"
"Yeah, they've got a good team."
"Yukon CANADA has a really good basketball team??"
(Long pause.)
"University of Connecticut... They go by U-Conn."
"OOOOOHHHH. I thought you meant the Y one."
"Yeah, no."
"And I thought, 'I thought the NCAA tournament was only for UNITED STATES'ers!"

So much for tossing my hair and being savvy-sports-trivia-queen. "The Yukon Yaks... have taken it all the way this year!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, friend, I thought the same thing. For a long time. It was just a few years ago that I was filling in a bracket and saw UConn, and the light came on. I totally understand. I've got your back!

Go Yaks!

Anonymous said...

Imagining Canadian miners and mountain men playing basketball made me laugh, and then I laughed at myself for imagining all Yukon folks as such.

I lived in Lawrence, KS for several years, and you pretty much have to take a college basketball quiz to be allowed to move in. It is life there. The entire town, all 100,000, would absolutely shut down if they made it to the Final Four. It was awesome. Go Jayhawks!

I need to go grade (i.e. finish filling out my brackets). Hope you have a happy Wed.