Apr 27, 2009

Well Aware

Yes, I know that our national economy is in what appears to be a free fall.

And yes, I know that our state just cut millions of dollars from education, and that teaching jobs are bleeding out of schools like a dog bite to an artery.

I know also that there will be around 37 displaced Language Arts teachers in the Seattle district alone, and I know that the district and union will be obligated to find jobs for those displaced teachers.

Yes, I'm aware that that means that the first and second year teachers currently working in schools will be "RIF'ed"-- fired-- since they don't have continuing contracts, to make way for the displaced teachers who have more seniority.

And yes, I know that that means I'll be competing for jobs against many, many other young, exuberant, passionate teachers-- who actually have a couple years experience under their belts.

I'm aware that I can sub.

And I also know that the subbing pool will be completed flooded with newly RIF'ed teachers, and other hopeless recent graduates like myself.

I know that, so long as I can get connections in schools, I probably have a good chance at subbing in them.

I also know that, since my school is CLOSING, many of the potential connections that I would have had from my student teaching placement will be washed away like spit in a stream.

And, just for the record, I also know about the Swine Flu.

I know that God has my best interests in mind, and that He has a plan for me, and that if HE wants me to be a teacher, He'll make me a teacher. I know to pray, and I know to hope, and I know to be patient. Even in the face of such dismal circumstances.

I know all these things.

So can we please stop talking about it?

2 comments:

Christina Ward said...

I really needed to read this as I face similarly daunting employment statistics in my own job hunt. Four months of unemployment and counting. But if God wants me to still be a lawyer, I will be a lawyer - that is a powerful and peaceful thought. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

amen