In 12 minutes, I will get in my car and drive to a job fair. I have 24 beautiful resumes, and 24 beautiful cover letters, all tucked away into 24 beautiful folders.
Perhaps something will come out of this?
Today, I had to proctor the middle-school WASL. As the kids straggled in, I introduced myself, and smiled at them, and shook their hands. During the break, a couple of girls that Viola and I had taught in Swing last semester came over to talk to me.
I had resigned myself to the possibility of teaching middle-school next year-- there are more Language Arts jobs there than in High School. Talking to the girls, I thought to myself, "You know, middle school might not be so bad. You can still reason with them and have conversations about big people things."
And then the test ended and they all went BERSERK. One kid, the first test finisher, spent the rest of the hour -- while other kids were finishing the test-- making as many various and annoying noises as he could. Once the kids all finished, some of the boys decided that wrestling-- wrestling!-- was a good idea. I broke it up, but honestly?? And even though, after breaking up the wrestling, the kids mostly kept it under control, there was still a hair-straightening party in one corner, and arm-wrestling in another-- which was, apparently, the more subdued concession from the boys.
And I thought to myself, "Please God, not this."
We'll see...?
I've started a blogging project with the kids. (I would like to thank Blogspot for providing a venue through which it was possible to discover the many merits of blogging. I would also like to thank Annie Parsons, without whose inspiration, blogging may have never commenced...) And I am LOVING this project so far! The kids are doing such a fantastic job... They responded to a poem for the first assignment, and kids who have not turned in a SINGLE piece of paper all year long have written insightful, interesting blogs! AND, I required that they comment on one another's blogs, and they're so sweet...! They're encouraging, and kind, and bring up other points that the blog made them think about... I got the warm-fuzzies all weekend long, reading them.
Sometimes, kids are so great.
One more minute before leaving. Cross your fingers or say a prayer for me. Sooner or later, someone will hire me right?
2 comments:
You're welcome, you're welcome!!! :)
Your blog is fantastic. Always. And I'm so glad that the kids are loving it, too!
You will get a job - a good one. One with age-appropriate children. You are YOU. One of those 24 resumes is going to flyyyyyy.
Ohhh middle schoolers! They are definitely a crazy bunch, but they can be really fun. I was terrified when I got my placement in 6th and 7th grade classrooms, but it is actually pretty fun! God luck, travel buddy.
Post a Comment