Aug 21, 2008

To Cut, or Not to Cut??

Okay, this is a very serious question, and I need all blog readers' opinions. Friends, acquaintances, lurkers alike. We have a big decision on our hands.

For the last six years, I have alternated between some version of a spunky short haircut, and varying stages of awkward grow-out. I'm a big fan of styling said-grow-out, so it hasn't been an entirely wretched existence, but still: it's been a little awkward. This last year however, the hair kept growing and growing, and the trip to Europe resulted in it continuing to grow and grow, and it's now at a longer point than it's been in years.

This is good maybe, yes? Girls with long hair equals cute, yes? That's not my whole story though. I'd been planning in my head to get my hair cut before school starts, because I WOULD LIKE TO LOOK OLDER THAN THE 17-YEAR-OLDS I'LL BE TEACHING. But now that it's through the awkward stage for the first time in years, I'm finding myself a little reluctant to chop. This is where I'm enlisting second opinions. I'll break it down:

TO CUT?

Pros:
1.) MAKES ME LOOK OLDER. This is a significant pro. Think about it people. Would YOU want other teachers ordering you to move your little toush to class? Or pimply-16-year-olds asking you to Homecoming?
2.) Sassy, and spunky. Great for tossing at dance parties.
3.) Works with my hair. Generally, it looks healthier when it's shorter.
Cons:
1.) No more curls.
2.) Must shower and style it-- mmm, pretty much every day.
3.) Impending awkward grow-out.

OR NOT TO CUT?

Pros:
1.) I can style it in bizillions of different ways. Read: curly; straight; curly half-back; straight half-back; pig tails; twisted up; braids; pony-tails of various heights; etc. etc.
2.) It hasn't been long in years. I'm kind of enjoying the novelty. It's like Kramer and the car salesman: how long can we go??
3.) It's pretty...
Cons:
1.) About 80% of the afore-mentioned styles still end up making me look more like a high-schooler than a grown woman getting her Masters with fabulous literary information to impart.
2.) It starts looking scraggly when it gets long. I'll admit it.
3.) I don't FEEL as spunky or sassy with long hair. I feel feminine and bohemian. But not that sassy. Being sassy as a teacher could be helpful, I feel.

Okay. Your turn. What do you think? I am SOLICITING your comments and suggestions. Normally my comment max is around five, but I know there are more of you than that because I CAN TRACK YOU. Muah haha hahaaa. No really though: I need help. Thoughts?

10 comments:

K said...

I'll admit I'm one of those lurkers who reads your blog. You're a great writer!

Here's my two cents... I just cut 13 inches off my hair about 2.5 months ago. I finished college and wanted to look older for my job, since I work in education as well and was tired of being mistook for a student! HOWEVER, short hair takes SO MUCH LONGER to style/maintain/etc. It's more expensive because you have to get maintenance haircuts more often, and it's always in your face! Long hair is so much more versatile and it is possible to look mature with long hair via wearing a little more make-up, styling your hair properly, and all around dressing like a grown-up and avoiding shopping at the same stores your students do! But short hair is much more sassy, I completely agree with you there ;)

Weisman said...

Ahhh cooool! Hi Kristin. :) Welcome to my blog. :) Have some cheese and crackers.

Thanks for the two cents. You make a compelling argument. 13 inches is a ton to cut!!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I like the longer hair! At least judging from your pictures, I don't think the longer hair makes you look young.

I would avoid pig-tails or braids at work, however. Because those probably would make you look younger.

Ultimately, you should do what you WANT! Who cares how old you look. They're eventually going to figure out you're not a student (and it probably won't take them that long).

hootenannie said...

Luckily, you are a girl who can pull off both long hair AND short hair. So, either way, you're going to be incredibly attractive.

That said, I think that YOU feel spunkier with shorter hair. And when I think of you in my mind, shorter hair is how I picture you.

Although, as one who recently chopped my hair, I can say that I have had the bob-remorse many times. But I think that you are predisposed to handling short hair much better than I am.

So... in short... I can't wait to see what you choose!

hootenannie said...

Also, be prepared that no matter what you decide, ALL OF THE HIGH SCHOOL BOYS ARE GOING TO HAVE HUGE CRUSHES ON YOU. I mean, let's just be real. It's going to happen.

Krissie said...

Wow. This is a hard one. So many true pros and cons!

However (in bulleted fashion)
*I don't think the length of your hair really makes you look older or younger. If anything, I think the shorter hair looks younger. But I'm guessing you are younger in that picture, so maybe that's why.
*Spunk is there in both lengths.
*Variety is the key for me. Up. Down. Halfway. Curly. Straight. The more options, the better.
*I'm assuming your curls are natural, so what does the short cut look like when it rains?

No real suggestion. Just points to ponder.

~Jenn said...

Your curls are so beautiful!

I agree with marijkejane that you should do what YOU want and what makes you feel empowered to change the lives of these students (which you'll be wonderful at).

My two cents: the long hair is sophiticated and will be easier to handle.

Good luck!

Shannon said...

First, your hair is ridiculously cute either way. You really can't go wrong..

My vote: Not to cut.
I love the wavy hair and curls on you. Longer hair is much more versatile and lower maintenance. And winter is coming up and longer hair will keep you warmer! Even though you may not FEEL sassy with longer hair, we all know you ARE sassy :)

Weisman said...

Thanks for your comments ladies. :) Sage advice all, and thanks for the sweet compliments! I think I'll probably go with a good trim, and maybe some side bangs to make it look a little more "coiffed..." But may stick with the length after all. :) Thanks for helping me decide!!!

And Annie: I am dreading the crushes. Maybe they just won't happen. I have no idea how I'll handle it. Even if I come up with a witty retort, my blushing will still give me away.

....Maybe I'll just wear my hair in FRONT of my face...

jnt. said...

i'm a long hair girl myself and i always see the fun, hip girls with their cute short hair and wish i could pull it off, but i can't.

a trim with some side-swept bangs sounds like a wise choice. post a picture so we can see. you are ADORABLE!!!