Nov 18, 2010

Pandora's Last Hope

One thing that I love about teaching literature is that the stories are constantly teaching me-- even ones that I've already become familiar with. Poems shift in their significance as I get older and stories likewise take on greater depth.

Tonight, Annie and I were talking about hope-- and how, difficult as it may be to maintain at times, we are absolutely called to preserve it. We MUST do whatever we can to blow our fragile breath on hope's dying embers... to coax its wilting bloom back to life.

Our conversation made me think of Pandora. Pandora, as I'm sure you know, was the one that opened the box-- THE box, the one from which all the world's evils escaped. This first woman, created as a punishment for mankind (yes. according to the ancient Greeks, woman was created as a punishment for man), Pandora was sent to her absent-minded husband Epimetheus with a giant, elaborately carved box as a dowry. Inside the box, writhed all the pregnant evils of the world: hate and bitterness and anger and fear and greed and pride and lust and lies and selfishness-- everything devoid of goodness or love. At one point, when left to her own devices, Pandora's curiosity got the best of her, and she opened the box--- thereby releasing all the contagion of the world. Pandora is Greek mythology's version of Eve; her action led to a darkened world. Punishment for mankind, indeed.

At this point, the stories begin to vary. Some versions say that Pandora managed to clap the lid of the box shut before the last inhabitant flew out-- and ended up shutting the lid on "hopelessness." Because Hope was preserved, we are able to withstand the evils that were released. Other versions say that Pandora initially shut the lid on Hope, but that the sweet bird clamored to get out. In that version, Pandora eventually opens the lid once more and Hope is released, ready to offer a balm to the world's wounded souls. Another version says that Hope remained forever imprisoned in the box; but in those versions, it is still somehow understood that Hope is what enables us to survive the rest. Hope is the only thing that keeps us from giving over to utter darkness and despair.

Those variations came to mind as Annie and I talked tonight. It's fitting, I think, that we don't exactly know whether Hope was imprisoned or released; whether it was Hopelessness or Hope that was left. Hope is such a slippery entity at times, isn't it? Sometimes it seems like the meanest thing to hold on to. We cultivate it and feed it bits of our heart, only to sometimes be ultimately disappointed. In other moments, Hope truly is the only life preserver. When all is lost, Hope is our ONLY sustenance. In those moments, the myth of Pandora's box seems especially relevant. In the face of overwhelming evil, we are kept alive by one thing alone: Hope.

Annie posted as her facebook status yesterday: "Hope takes practice, and practice doesn't always make perfect. But it's still worth practicing."

This is why Annie is my best friend. I couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

We are such good best friends. Thank you for championing hope in my life.

Shannon said...

Oh Greta, I love this post.

I've got this thing for hope. It's taken up residence in my soul and I think it's one of those things that doesn't ever fully disappear but sometimes I find myself needing to seek it out.
Last year on my birthday, all my friends, the dears that they are, found ways to remind me of hope all throughout the day. Taking pictures of the word hope, leaving notes of hope and sharing words of hope. It was the most spectacular day. I want everyone to have that constant reminder.

Some words from my amazing roommate, Karyn. She has an incredible way with words. And I just love this.

"Sometimes, despite our resistance and fear and reluctance and pleading and whining, that stubborn little spark of hope will set up camp inside us, carve its name into the walls of our hearts, and politely refuse to go away." -Karyn