Nov 11, 2010

Circles

I currently have a song running through my head.

The song is one that was written and recorded by one of my AP seniors, who shyly, happily passed along a CD of her songs after I asked for it.

This senior wrote this song partially based off the poem "Litany" by Billy Collins, which she was exposed to on the first day of school.

On the first day of school, I had showed my AP students THIS video of "Litany" being performed by a 3-year-old, and told my students they needed to rewrite the poem as a way to introduce themselves.

I had found that video on THIS friend's blog.

Just yesterday, I posted the link to THIS story , published by NPR, on that friend's facebook about the 3-year-old getting to meet Billy Collins, after little Sam's youtube video collected more than 300,000 hits.

On Monday I plan to show the same story to my AP students. I hope my little songwriter is as delighted by the sequence of events as I've been.

From a poet's head, to a small boy's memorized words, to a viral video, to a blog, to a lesson plan, to an assignment, and then back into a different poet's lyrics, music, and beautiful vocals...

I currently have a song running through my head.

No comments: