Jul 3, 2010

Bubble Magic (road-trip preface)

The other day, I walked down to Greenlake to blow bubbles. The best part about blowing bubbles is that I almost always make new toddler friends, and this day was no exception. A two-year-old and a four-year-old crowed and clapped and danced all around me, stomping the bubbles that rested on the ground, while the other bubbles lifted and dodged the chubby hands of their would-be assassins.

Getting ready to leave, I had a sudden impulse to give the bubbles away. Another little girl walked by with her dad. "Does your little girl want some bubbles?" I asked.
The little girl looked at me shyly. "No thank you," she said.
I smiled. "Are you sure?"
"Yes."
The dad smiled at me and nodded. "Thank you!"

I was resolute on giving them away at that point though. Had determined: the world needs more bubble-blowers. Tried to discreetly evaluate the various couples and roller-skaters and stroller pushers as they walked by, thinking to myself, "Do you need these bubbles?" Took a break to kick off my flip-flops and climb out on a tree that stretched over the water. Stayed there for a little while, just thinking.

Walking home resumed. Finally, approaching a bus-stop, I saw a morose looking teenage girl, dressed all in black, with her chin in her hands and her hair covering her face.

I cheerfully walked up to her. "Hi! Do you want some bubbles?"

The transformation was instant: she straightened up, her face split open into this HUGE smile, and she said "THANK you!!"

And then the world suddenly became magical-- it was like I'd found the magic key to get into another more sparkly world by picking the right girl to give bubbles to, and once she had them-- the world seriously transformed. EVERY person I passed by made eye contact with me and smiled. Drivers waved at me. Motorcyclists yelled nice things to me from their bikes. Seriously! I was suddenly friends with the whole world!

This is why I blow bubbles.

(I mean, among other reasons.)

THIS:-- forging brief, powerful connections with strangers-- is one of my very most favorite things to do. I'm about to leave on this great big road trip-- a 3-week road trip-- and I'm going by myself. Which means that most people I interact with are going to be strangers.

So I'm hoping for more bubble moments.

AND: I'm hoping for more tree-climbing moments. Hoping for lots of road-side pull-overs so I can just get out of my car for ten minutes and marvel at the world. Hoping for whimsy, and beauty, and lots of reflection. Hoping to make many new friends. Hoping for lots of good prayer, and for gradual healing in the sore spots.

Before I leave though, I have to do all kinds of hideous tasks. I have to learn TWO new pieces of technology today-- my camera and my blue-tooth. I have to try to clean out the hard drive on this computer so that it might actually work when it's on the road. I have to get road trip snacks. I have to have someone look at my car (this is what I'm dreading most) to make sure it's going to survive this trip. (What if they say I need a new transmission??) I need to get a working CD player. I need to get a new front tire. I need to pack.

AND: I need to get another bottle of bubbles. Because I gave my other bottle away, and because you never know when you might have a bubbles-emergency.

First stop will be staying with my family down south in Vancouver, WA. After that will be Ashland, San Francisco, L.A., and San Diego-- then on to Denver... then to infinity and beyond.

Stay tuned: traveling blogs to come.

2 comments:

Mackenzie said...

If you drive down the coast, a little way past Santa Barbara, before you hit L.A., you will pass through a small-ish town called Ventura. It's my new home as of about 3 weeks ago. If you want a place to stay, you are more than welcome here! There's a beautiful beach, awesome bike path, and some fun hills to climb :)

EmClare said...

The world DOES need more bubble-blowers...and more people like YOU. Love you, GW.