Jun 20, 2009

Today, I:

- Greeted tearful ninth and tenth graders on their way into the classroom on the last day of school

- Bore witness to the results of kids tagging the walls-- both with chalk ("Thank you staff") and with spray paint ("Our school will never die!!!")

- Heard about a huge stand-off and apparent law-suit between the steel drum teacher and the principal, over who should get the steel drums; heard also that the steel drum teacher's wife had barricaded herself in the steel drum room, over the protest.

- Saw the police and media show up in response to aforementioned scuffle.

- Heard another teacher admit deviously that she had sneaked thousands of dollars worth of equipment out the back door while the aforementioned poobah ensued.

- Gave Mark his final back and watched him shout out loud, jump up and down, and hug several people, including me.

- Played songs on guitar for my kids while two girls sang along, knowing every word.

- Stopped mid-song to evacuate the building when a kid pulled the fire alarm.

- Watched a documentary crew, who has been following and documenting our school throughout the closure process, interview/film the evacuated students out on the field.

- Waved goodbye to all the buses as they slowly pulled away; realized our school's last day had finally ran out.

- Saw Joshua wearing his new fedora.

- Hugged students, said goodbye to students, and tried to hold back tears as I said MY last so-long to the students I've come to care so much about.

- Went home

- Packed

- Got dinner with my friend Kelsey; went to the airport.

- Got on a red-eye to New York.

- Listened to "Man Down Under" about 60 times on repeat at a cafe (WHY only the one song? WHY?) in JFK during a 2.5 hour layover.

- Got on another plane to Nashville

- Surprised ANNIE: happy Bluebird performance weekend!!! Did you ACTUALLY think I'd miss it??

- Hung out with best friend and her parents all day.

- Shopped at Anthropologie to pick Annie out a Bluebird outfit.

- Saw other fantastic Nashville friends

- Came back to Annie's house

- Blogged

- Went to bed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a sec... WHOA. That is one full day, lady. I'm sure Annie rocked the Bluebird - I hope you ladies had a good time.

Unknown said...

It was SOOOOOO good to see you again this weekend! I believe I speak for ALL of Nashville when I say "MOVE HERE". Also, I'm sad I missed you today. A co-worker sent me a text last night reminding me that we had inservice today. Uggh. But at least I got to see you this weekend. Yay! xxoo.

PZC said...

1. Please tell me you were playing the evacuation song when you had to evacuate.
2. When are you moving here?

hootenannie said...

I love that your "today" spanned 48 hours. I love that you surprised me. I love that you were here (oh good GRACIOUS, I love that you were here!).

And I love you a million billion times.