Word of the day: lugubrious. As in: spring break starts in one more week, but I shall be lugubrious until then.
Not true actually. I'm still giddy from the sunshine. Did anyone see Rainier this morning?? Radiant.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Favorite moment from the mock interviews today:
Mike, a tall confident senior, had indicated an interest in applying to "Reber Ranch"-- a glorified pet store, apparently-- so when he entered the classroom I greeted him with a cheerful Southern accent: "Howdy son! What's yer name?"
He responded with a drawl to rival my own: "Howdy! Mah name's Miy-ke."
I looked at Mike, eyebrows raised. "I detect a Suthin' accent. Are yew frum here, Miyke?"
"Yes ma'am!" he replied cheerfully.
I paused. "Then WHY are yew talkin' in a Suthin' accent?"
He looked at me, confused.
"Are you MOCKIN' my accent?"
"No ma'am! I'm jus talkin', same as yew."
"If you are not from the Sayouth, then you should not be talkin' lahk me. Are you mockin' me? I believe you are mockin' me."
He stared at me-- still confused. I said, "I think yew should leave, son. I am not in the habit of workin' with people who like to mock otha people's ways a' talkin'."
He looked at me incredulously. "Are yew serious?" he asked, still in heavy drawl.
I laughed and dropped the character. "Go on kid, get out! If you have an interviewer who speaks with an accent, you can't talk back to them in that same accent if it's not your own, they'll be insulted! Go on, try again."
He hopped back out into the hall, and poked his head back in, eager to please. "Okay! This is Mike's interview-- take two!"
He shut the door-- then swung it open and walked back into the class.
"Howdy son!" I greeted him. "Welcome to Reber Ray-anch!"
"Well thank yew!" he replied. "I 'preciate you havin' me!"
We laughed him out of the classroom. Seconds later, he was poking his head back into the room to say with a grin, "Okay-- this is Mike's interview, take three!"
On take three, he spoke like a good ol' Washingtonian. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment