Mar 24, 2010

The Mess

"Miss Weisman, what's your opinion? Do you think students here are actually authentic?"

"I think... you all are in a state of becoming. I think you're still figuring out who you are, and what you believe in. I think we're all in a state of becoming. I look at myself-- and I'm someone that knows herself pretty well, I feel like I've had a handle on 'me' since high-school-- but I am still figuring things out. I have a LOT to figure out. When you're a teenager, you're going through SO much growth-- you're recognizing for the first time that your opinions might differ from your parents, you're figuring out what you believe in, who you want to be... I think people who are honest about where they're at with all that are recognized as authentic. But I'm not sure anyone can have a permanent handle on who they are-- because we're always changing."

You know when the wound is open, and the surgeon is working with his scalpel and his retractor?

You know when a cook is in the middle of her creation, and the incredients are spread out all over the counter, and the eggs are cracked and the flour is spilled?

You know when you first get out of the shower, and you're wet and dripping?

You know when a baby is born, and is still connected, and is not yet washed, and is wailing in the biting air?

It's messy.

It's all messy.

It's becoming-- and it's messy.

Today, I am forgiving myself for not having yet become. I feel messy today. But I hope that indicates a heart in progress.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

We are all in process. And we never "arrive." And still: I like you just the way you are, even as you are changing and becoming.

Love you.

Riley said...

I love this post so much, I want to write it on my heart. and greta, thank you for the birthday wish. it was my favorite one all day long.